Still no end to the bean onslaught in the potager ! Purple ones and green ones alike, just keep on giving 🙂
Beware this recipe is very moreish, so double it if you have a big appetite ! In the past, I have made this without the radishes (though an interesting addition), by adding more potato and beans. It is really good with the radishes so try to source them. Plain old garden radishes or milky white Daikons are nice.
If you have time to spare (don’t we all?) this is a great way to use up a glut of beans as these little fritters freeze very well. So make an afternoon of it 😉
I have been experimenting with homemade hot chili sauces this year, as my freezer is already fully stocked with various Chili Butters 😉 I’ve made some nice versions of Caribbean style hot sauces and a gorgeous Chili Jam… Recipes to come soon 🙂
Thai style green bean fritters
- 110g green beans
- 225g waxy potatoes, grated
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 110g radishes (daikon are nice)
- grated zest of one lime or grated kaffir lime zest
- small handful chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) and more to finish
- 1 green chili, chopped and de-seeded if you like (the heat is mostly in the pith and seeds)
- up to a Tablespoon red Thai curry paste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 30g chickpea flour (gram flour)
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- veg oil for shallow frying (I always use olive)
Serve with something worth dipping in:
- a nice sweet chili sauce or….
- a mix of lime juice and soya sauce and brown sugar to taste
Trim the green beans and chop into small pieces by hand or using a food processor. Mix together with the potatoes (squeeze the extra water from potatoes first), spring onions, radishes, lime zest, coriander, chili and curry paste.
Stir in the eggs and chickpea flour. Season with plenty of salt and pepper.
Heat a good glug of oil in a heavy frying pan. Fry spoonfuls of the mixture for a few minutes on each side until golden-brown. Serve garnished with sprigs of coriander. Serve dipping sauces separately.
adapted from Leiths Vegetarian Bible
Bon appetît !