(adapted from the book by Nigel Slater, “Real Fast Food”)
An easy, healthy way to enjoy summer Aubergines. I’m a big fan of Nigel Slaters books and would recommend any of them ! He has a great way of “slapping” it all together… my style of cooking 🙂
- 2 Aubergines (approx. 225g each)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 handfuls fresh basil leaves
- 2 TBS pine nuts (or other nuts such as hazelnuts)
- 2 TBS parmesan or Pecorino (hard sheeps cheese and what I can get locally produced, just not called the same thing 😉 )
- 4 TBS olive oil + 100ml for frying
Cut aubergines in half along the horizon, then cut lattice slits into the flesh of them without piercing the skin. Heat the frying oil in a shallow pan, and add the aubergines skin side up, and cook until golden for about 10 minutes. Turn and cook for a futher 2 minutes.
While this is going on, whizz the garlic, basil, nuts, cheese and 4 Tbsp of olive oil to make the pesto. Lift the aubergines out of the pan, and place them flesh side up under the grill pan, and spread the pesto over them, and cook under a fairly hot grill until the pesto starts to bubble. As Keep an eye on it, as overcooking will apparently make it bitter. Serve with a salad or bread or as a side dish to any meat.